– Richard S. Ginell, September 20, 2015.
– Daniel Rosenboom, September 21, 2015.I am text block. Click edit button to change this text.
“…about this young maverick Derrick Spiva… It was a revelation. His composition is clean, clear, creative, and fearless… Does LA have a flag? Because I want to grab it and plant it on this kid and claim him exclusively for the City of Angels before anyone else grabs him.”
– Kathleen Carreiro, September 23, 2015
“When Spiva joined us at The Frame studio, we talked about his varying influences, his interest in West African percussion and composition, and how ‘Apollo 13’ changed his life—and still didn’t scare him out of wanting to be an astronaut.”
– Michelle Lanz and Cameron Kell, September 14, 2015.
(interview with John Horn)
“[Spiva’s piece] really does bring the energy of African dance and Balkan folk rhythm into the concert hall… to do this in a way that is really authentic and doesn’t sound artificial is not an easy thing to do, and I think [Spiva] has done that very successfully.”
– Jeffrey Kahane, September 18, 2015.
(interview with Lindsay Weinberg)